In recent times, more and more people are travelling to developing countries like India either for professional reasons or for sightseeing. During these trips, one can easily get stomach infections and digestive disorders that are caused by the attack of parasites, viruses or bacteria on the stomach. It is better to avoid such stomach infections by taking some basic preventive measures rather than ruining your entire vacation.
Digestive disorders while travelling can be caused by various reasons like jet lag, stress, changes in daily routine and irregular eating habits. But the most common reason for stomach infections is intake of contaminated food or drinks, especially when you are fond of trying local cuisines at street stalls and fast food restaurants where hygiene is not a priority.
How to avoid stomach infections while travelling?
Here are some quick but effective tips on how to avoid stomach infections while travelling in India:
The most common reason for stomach infections is change in quality and composition of water from one place to the other. Therefore, always carry your own mineral water bottle and make sure that you drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated all the time.
In case you cannot buy bottled water, you can boil water or treat it with bleach or water purification tablets. But it should be noted that these methods do not guarantee complete elimination of all potential contaminating germs. Therefore, they should be considered only as a second option.
You tend to come in contact with a lot of dirty things while travelling. Remember to wash your hands properly with an antiseptic soap before and after meals. Also, try and wash your hands each time you enter your room after spending the entire day travelling. It is also advisable to carry a hand sanitizer along with you wherever you go. You can buy at a local pharmacy shop.
It is preferable to eat freshly prepared meals that are cooked and served especially for you instead of eating dishes that may have been kept for several hours in the kitchen or the buffet. It is also advisable to avoid raw or undercooked vegetables and meat, including salads, fruits and vegetables that have not been peeled. Although it is a great temptation, it is advisable not to consume juices and smoothies if they are prepared with water of doubtful origin. It is safer to take bottled and packed drinks.
Treatment of stomach infections while travelling:
In case you suffer from stomach disorders while travelling, you can follow the simple remedies given below:
- Dehydration is the root cause of most of the stomach infections. Therefore, remember to drink plenty of fluids and salts to recover from dehydration. You can also take ORS solutions for this purpose.
- A glass of white wine taken after a meal can help in digestion and combating acidity.
- Take juice of three lemons in half a glass of water 15 minutes after meals to get rid of gastrointestinal problems.
- Heat a cup of water and remove it from heat when it is just short of boiling. After a few minutes, when it is warm, add cloves and drink it slowly to reduce stomach irritation.
- Carry some preventive medication for common digestive disorders like constipation, diarrhea and acidity.